"...Baby I'm hungry - I want and I need - Bring me your sugar - And pour it all over me baby...."


Poker tournaments are just one of the attractions on offer at 888.com. Play bingo or slots, or enjoy a spin of a virtual online roulette wheel.
Tuesday, November 28, 2006
I'm too old for this #$%^...
Seriously, I think after age 28 you shouldn't be required to do placement testing to get into College. I think after 2 kids and being married for 5 years I should get a free pass for life experience.

I went down to school yesterday, with my friend Heather, to get registered for classes and tie up some loose ends for my financial aid. Hit the FA offices first and got some good news, 3/4 of my tuition will be paid for by GRANTS!! GG for not working a lot last year T. I also found out I qualified for "work study" programs. When I heard this I had envisioned a really cool job doing something I liked on a flexible schedule, I was wrong. Unless you find working for $5.15/hr appealing.

Next we headed down to the academic counselors offices. I had called ahead of time to try and schedule an appointment and was told I didn't need one. So, we signed up on the list only to find out I DID need one to talk to the right counselor. But they were kind enough to let me talk some things out with a counselor not in the branch of study I will be going in. She was kind enough to tell me my GPA was 0.00 because I had attended a quarter at Sinclair and withdrawn, only to have the withdraw NOT go thru and gave me a transcript that says "F F F F"=0.00. But I can have that forgiven after my first quarter back.

Oh, and by they way, none of your college credits count cause it's been over 5 years, except English, but we don't have your OSU transcripts on file so you have to get those.

So guess what? Even though I placed in math 050 after taking my ACT and SAT 12 years ago, I have to do it again. It's way more humiliating at 29 than at 17.

Oh, and another thing, you have to come back and spend THREE HOURS taking placement tests. And I had better study and place in math 101 or I'll have to add 4 math classes to earn my degree.

So I "get" to take a practice exam. Here is the first question on the AlgebraI part:

If Lynn can type a page in p minutes, what piece of the page can she do in 5 minutes?
5/p
p - 5
p + 5
p/5
1- p + 5

And question 2...

If Sally can paint a house in 4 hours, and John can paint the same house in 6 hour, how long will it take for both of them to paint the house together?
2 hours and 24 minutes
3 hours and 12 minutes
3 hours and 44 minutes
4 hours and 10 minutes
4 hours and 33 minutes

And my favorite...

Solve the following equation for A : 2A/3 = 8 + 4A
-2.4
2.4
1.3
-1.3
0

Ok, so you might look at these and think "wow! you're lucky, that's so easy", and if you do, all I can say is "STFU, GFY".

Then onto Algebra II

Mary is reviewing her algebra quiz. She has determined that one of her solutions is incorrect. Which one is it?
2x + 5 (x-1) = 9 x = 2
p - 3(p-5) = 10 p = 2.5
4 y + 3 y = 28 y = 4
5 w + 6 w – 3w = 64 w = 8
t – 2t – 3t = 32 t = 8

HUH?! Let's revise the question to - Teresa is reviewing her algebra quiz. She has determined all of her solutions are incorrect. What's the over/under on her placing in math 101?

Then you know your entire life has gone to hell when you have to ask a poker friend for help. A poker friend with the affectionate nicknames of "Dimmdoodle, dimmwad, dimmifieddonk etc etc" for help, and you find out HE'S UM GENIUS! And then he had to leave and go to dinner with his roomate, so I quit the practice test on this question:

If Steven can mix 20 drinks in 5 minutes, Sue can mix 20 drinks in 10 minutes, and Jack can mix 20 drinks in 15 minutes, how much time will it take all 3 of them working together to mix the 20 drinks?
2 minutes and 44 seconds
2 minutes and 58 seconds
3 minutes and 10 seconds
3 minutes and 26 seconds
4 minutes and 15 seconds


I'm so screwed. If you don't get any responses from me in a week, other than asking how to find X, don't take it personal. I gotta take this placement test next Monday at 12noon.

Labels:

 
posted by t at 8:51 AM | Permalink |


8 Comments:


  • At 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    OMGWTF! You should really post a warning when you mix Dimmy and Algebra in the same posting. I think it's an OSHA violation not to....or something.

    Good luck on the testes. (That's the plural of 'test' right?)

     
  • At 6:47 PM, Blogger SPQR

    That sucks. I couldn't imagine writing that stuff now, algebra couldn't be further from my mind.

    On another note, I was looking through some old pictures the other day, and there were a few of us in europe back in 1996 was it??
    Man, you had short hair back then! I forgot!

     
  • At 12:17 AM, Blogger TheHugeGuy

    Math is easy. You are lucky. Let me cheat on your test for you

     
  • At 12:34 AM, Blogger TheHugeGuy

    11/29/2006 00:37

    Algebra I Level

    Information
    First Name: TheHugeGuy
    Last Name: TheHugeGuy

    Congratulations, you haven't made any errors

    Total score: 20.

     
  • At 7:54 AM, Blogger t

    Vince-

    one word SCANNER! Ive been meaning to scan my europe pics for years and years, never gotten around to it. I also have this pic from Daytona of me doing tequilla shots I need to scan. But of course my scanner/printer went on the fritz last week.

    Anyhoo... you know that pic of me in france you sent me? It's still in my sisters house, one of her fav pics.

    And J, BITE ME. I h8 smart ppl.

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger Kate

    See, I live in a house where math is a daily occurence, like it or not. There are downsides to marrying a math guy. But the up-sides are, I can hand everything with numbers right over to him... including bills...

     
  • At 6:46 PM, Blogger Hrbek

    Hrbek is math smart but the only way I could ever do the paint house in 4 hrs or 6 hrs, is to hope they left only one common sense answer... if two ppl who were slower (6 hrs) worked together, it'd be 3hrs ... but the second worker is faster so it has to be less ... tyvm that only 1 answer is less than 3 hrs.

    if u try to do those with some algebra you are FUBARED and will get a little shell-shocked. so do it the easy way. F math on those.

     
  • At 11:03 AM, Blogger Hrbek

    nspam