"...Baby I'm hungry - I want and I need - Bring me your sugar - And pour it all over me baby...."


Poker tournaments are just one of the attractions on offer at 888.com. Play bingo or slots, or enjoy a spin of a virtual online roulette wheel.
Thursday, June 15, 2006
Just for Lynn...
I will try my best to do you proud!!

The issue of gun control is like a married couple fighting over a pair of shoes left in the middle of the floor, there are bigger problems in that relationship making the shoes become a HUGE issue at the time.

The age old battle of "Guns dont kill people, people kill people" VS " But if the guns weren`t there in the first place the people wouldnt kill people" debate, which to be honest, neither make a whole lot of sense as good solid arguements. The problem with "gun control" is that any laws that are put in place to make a firearm harder to get would only restrict law abiding citizens from buying them at a moments notice. Its the criminals who will always have fast access to guns. OK so the real problem is the criminals. So, who are these people? Why are they resorting to violence and crime? THATS the real issue... an issue that will never be dealt with.

Why you ask??? What a great question!!! Im so glad you asked!! Because typically, the people that are drawn to a lifestyle of crime are the ones that WE have forgotten about. The people that were raised in homes of violence, poverty, neglect and drug use where they were never taught to want better. Wherever they go they are looked down upon and they are not represented in society except as "loafers" of our governments resources. They aren`t given a good education, health care or opportunities that my children will take for granted. No one believes in them.... where would you be if you had no one urging you on, supporting you, being there when you fall, and picking you back up when you do? With no hope or knowledge of anything different or better they turn the only place they know, to crime. And why not? No one gives a damn about them till they affect their tax dollars and break into their homes or steal their cars. And saddest of all, because when they KILL they are most likely killing each other.

The American Dream moved north to Canada long ago, where no matter who you are or what family you were born into you have an education at all levels and health care guaranteed to you. This gives a person HOPE lets them know they are a part of something greater and they matter in a bigger scheme of things and don`t need to resort to crime, there is another way.

If it was possible to get rid of all guns Id be for it. But thats not reality. They are shipped in, manufactured, stolen and re sold faster than anyone could possibly try to keep track of, so regulation does little at this point. A person has the right to be able to defend themselves and their families against a criminal who has access to these firearms. Cycle of fear. And guns in homes means guns in the hands of children. But we can just tell our kids not to touch guns, right?

Sure why not, especially if you`re living in the fantasy world that thinks guns are the issue here. Study after study after study after study shows that most parents aren`t locking up their guns and even when they do the kids know how to get them out cause they know where the keys are. EVEN that education programs cause MORE curiousity and the kids that are taught gun safety are MORE LIKELY to use a gun. Oh the irony.

I see the ads for seatbelts when I`m out driving, saying if I wear my seatbelt my kids will. I teach my kids not to play with guns by not having one. Set an example. They do what we do. Pretty elementary. I live in a city on the most dangerous lists, yet I dont live in fear, I leave my doors unlocked and my kids play outside. Maybe one day we will figure it out in spite of ourselves.

So whats the answer?? Lobbying for our imaginary constitutional right to bear arms isnt the answer and banning guns isnt the answer, so what are we left with? How about putting the money and resources into teaching our society how to give a damn about someone other than themselves. That ought to be an interesting ad campaign.

__________________________________________________________________


IN OTHER NEWS.....

My mom graduated from nursing school last week! So proud of her. She has a job offer from Mayas school to be the Director of Nursing Services there.

I got my bedroom clean. I mean baseboards, closets cleaned out, furniture moved around all that jazz.

I actually finished ALL my laundry this weekend. I have 4 more loads to do now.

Maya has been at a day camp this week. She tells me she LOVES it and still whines about getting up in the morning and me making her wear gym shoes there instead of strapy sandals... GIRLS!

Had a birthday party on Saturday at friends house... had a great time.

Came in 3rd in poker turney last night after my 75o in the BB conquered KQ.

Joes looking for a new job... hes in IT.. we are willing to relocate!!! Keep yer eyes out!
 
posted by t at 7:20 AM | Permalink |


2 Comments:


  • At 9:21 PM, Blogger t

    You guys made me open up a word doc to write this! How rude! *wink*

    First, Id like to say, no I did not include every aspect of gun ownership, but I did try to make it clear that the law abiding citizens owning guns are the ones getting shafted.

    Now for we_are_not_amused. Ill reply as well as I can since I disagree with you a great deal. I find your reply a bit ignorant to our country`s reality. You are correct that some children escape a “circle of despair” but as I pointed out, I guarantee these children didn’t do it on their own. They found someone to be a support, to urge them on, to tell them there was better, most don’t have that or have the know how or resources to find it. If you want to keep your guns and let your 10 year old play with them and not have to be a victim of crime, its time to admit that WE have let this problem happen and face reality.

    I actually have a great deal of knowledge about Canada`s healthcare system. And although it is different and not polluted with greed, they are entitled to basic healthcare as people, as citizens. Its not free, don’t be deluded, they pay a large sum of money in taxes for it.

    The way your parents chose to raise you is their choice. Im sure you did not come from the background I have described. Although, I would question any parents right to parent giving a 10 year old a gun unsupervised, so maybe class isn’t an issue in this case. As I stated, many studies have shown that kids taught to use guns and be “responsible” with them are the very ones having the accidents. Check the studies yourself, I posted links to them, they are the ones the NRA refuse to admit exist.

    As for the constitution, I`ve read it clearly. “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” When was the last time you agreed to fight in your states militia? Or your states militia was needed for that matter? This amendment was not meant for the purpose you are stating. The amendment is ONE SENTENCE not separate.

    My locking doors comment was aimed at the fact that I don’t run in those crowds. Most violent crimes are not random.

    And money and resources CAN help. Look at what happens in urban communities funding is poured into, or where people are starting up EXCELLENT charter schools, or where programs like the Bill Gates Foundation come into a degraded neighborhood and fund a real school for these kids. A sense of hope and a support system is so underrated.

    Open your eyes, look around you, think what it could be like to walk in another persons shoes. WAKE UP!

    Now for Lynn 

    As usual your comments are WELL thought out and worded and unfortunately for me, hard to argue with!! But ALAS! I shall try.

    First its TERESA no h, silly lady!

    You are absolutely right, guns for sport were not in my equation. As you stated, its hard to cover every aspect of the argument in one post. I understand that for a farmer or the like guns are necessary. As for enjoyment purposes, my brother owns many guns, I have friends that shoot, I even went to a shooting range once when I was younger. I think unless you are keeping the animal for food or hide to support yourself, only killing for enjoyment, that isn’t right either. I suppose having children has changed my view about having guns in a home and I personally would not put them at risk. If there was a way for only law abiding and well intended people to have guns, that would be great. Unfortunately that is not the place we live in.

    I also understand your “one bad seed” comment, although I don’t see it as paying for peoples mistakes in parenting. I see it as paying for what our entire society has degraded to. I also don’t think a cherry pit accident can be equated to a firearm. As for your other examples, just like I wouldn’t have guns in my home I also would not let my kids in the kitchen with hot things on the stove. But like I said, I don`t think that is the entire issue here.

    I realize that criminals come from many different backgrounds, but the prison system in our country may disagree with you. Our prisons are over flowing with kids bred into a life of crime. I saw a story on 60 minutes saying that 89% of them had been abused as a child and 92% grew up at or below poverty level. I would guess the high school graduation rate would be in the 10 or 20% range.

    The gun debate in general, not just hand guns are a fraction of the problem. Ill use the saying “guns don’t kill people, people kill people” and our country is in denial of who these people are and why they are doing what they are doing. Slapping restraints on gun ownership isn’t the answer to the question. Find the root of the problem is. And that is what my point was.

    And Hitler and Stalin, I realize these are criminals of the greatest magnitude, but I was sticking with our issues here in America. I stated in my post that gun restrictions only restrict law abiding citizens. So I am aware that the only people left with guns would be criminals. That’s the problem!

    Blither more witcha later! XOXO

     
  • At 8:17 AM, Blogger t

    see, we agree!! just took us a minute to figure it out :)